Friday, November 23, 2007

giving thanks



Happy Thanksgiving to all!! I really enjoy Thanksgiving; a celebration of the harvest, kindness and generosity and a true American holiday. We don't really do a traditional Thanksgiving meal, no turkey or cranberry sauce. But we celebrate the season's bounty and being together with family, my own small family and my husband's extended family.

Our menu yesterday was roasted squash soup; lasagna; braised, lemony spinach and pumpkin pie for dessert. I made my first pumpkin pie and we took it over to be shared with my husband's uncle's family. It was great feeling to see my early morning work disappear into appreciative mouths. Jove had helped me make it and asked about it all day; he was so happy to finally eat it and tell his cousins all about the ingredients.

We went to a late-night Thanksgiving meal at my sister-in-law's house and I felt very grateful to be included in their family celebration. It was very traditional in terms of what was served, but a very festive celebration for Thanksgiving, a lot of dancing, singing and love. It seemed to me to be the best of both cultures, a beautifully prepared meal and then a clearing of the tables for a lot of dancing.

At our own meal and at my sister-in-law's house everyone shared what they are thankful for and I thought I would leave you with a few words of gratitude:

Jove's List (not in order of importance)
leaves
hot chocolate
cuddling
chocolate cookies
oatmeal

My List (not in order of importance)
Love
Health
A growing family
Amazing friends (chosen family)
Not working and being with my children

2 comments:

heathre said...

Happy Thanksgiving - wish I could have been there to celebrate with you all! Maybe next year... lots of love, heather

Nanimal said...

oooh, that sounds lovely, really lovely. I am thankful as well for my chosen family. I feel close to you all even across the miles.