Saturday, January 12, 2008

the new year

I have been meaning to reflect in writing on the arrival of 2008 and so here goes. This past year has been a big change for me and I have been able to enjoy the moments of my life more than before. Usually my list of goals for a new year would include a to do list (maybe a wish list): exercise more, be more patient and accepting, less judgmental, help other people more, have a regular spiritual practice, etc.
I find myself kind of goal-less right now which feels good, surprisingly. Not working and being with the kids has allowed (and forced) me to slow down a lot and enjoy just being. Instead of making a resolution to meditate daily, which may be almost impossible with two young kids, I have a tickling meditation with Jove which involves a lot of tickling and leaves me feeling pretty blissed out. In my mind, it requires the same type of discipline to be mindfully present with my kids as it does to make time to meditate. Jove will ask me, sometimes at what seems like the most inopportune moment, "Let's tickle on the couch." For Jove, there is only the present moment and what I do in that present moment seems pretty important, for both of us. It is the same with Miranda and nursing her to sleep, another one of my daily meditations.

This last year, I feel less busy and happier. So that is my new year's wish this year, be less busy and happier. I also find comfort in routines and seasons more than I used to. I am more appreciative of my friends and family, new and old, and realize that ultimately my life is only about the people in it. So, thank you (you know who you are), to the people who are in my life and for each day I have to share it with all of you.

No comments: