Friday, December 11, 2009

reflection on busyness

The end of one holiday, grades coming due, another important holiday coming, more responsibilities and shortened daytime hours have left me feeling like I need to have my soul recharged a bit. The plan... go to the woods.

My favorite poet, Mary Oliver describes how I feel perfectly:

The Old Poets of China

Wherever I am, the world comes after me.
If offers me its busyness. It does not believe
that I do not want it. Now I understand
why the old poets of China went so far and high
into the mountains, then crept into the pale mist.

2 comments:

Nanimal said...

oh.... this poem is awesome. I love the bit about the busy-ness not knowing we aren't interested.

amazing. There i has been almost no requests for subbing this week which is super lucky sanity wise for me. and wow... is it nice to not have to do grades this year. good luck and only 2 more days!

sunnywave said...

oh...so nice! i would love to creep into the pale mist...